ONLINE/SKYPE MDT CONSULTATION
The McKenzie Method, also known as Mechanical Diagnosis & Therapy (MDT), is a research proven system of assessment and treatment for back, neck and extremity symptoms developed by Physiotherapist Robin McKenzie.
Why MDT online is a great option for those who can’t reach an MDT practitioner:
- 80-90% of patients are ‘rapid responders’ where hands on treatment is rarely required.
- Your history (e.g. where your symptoms are, how they behave with various movements, how they began) can be obtained via the same methods during the video call as it would be utilised in treatment room.
- The physical examination is mostly based around simple but specific movements that you can do at home or office, and repeated movements to differentiate between potential competing diagnoses. Again, this is easily done via video call.
- The “treatment” is almost always specific exercises and/or loading strategies that are obtained via the history and video call physical exam.
The cornerstones of MDT:
- Active patient involvement
- Education about your problem
- Self-management exercises for relief
- Learn how to prevent and reduce recurrences
- A thorough history and mechanical assessment
- Determination of specific exercises and strategies
- Education about why you developed your problem and how to resolve it
How MDT differs to traditional Physiotherapy:
- Assessment process involves testing of repeated movements and sustained positions specific to your concern
- Determines which exercise you can perform, to “treat yourself” for instant relief
- Focus on strategies for self-management long term
Who is suitable for an online/videocall MDT assessment?
- Anyone who has spinal or joint/tendon pain such as:
- Lower Back Pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Knee or hip pain
- Tendon pain like plantar fascia, Achilles or elbow pain
- Chronic pain non-responsive to many forms of treatment
- If your physical location means you are unable to get to see an MDT therapist, online video call offers you a way to get the same level of assessment and treatment as those that live locally.
Is my injury/problem suitable for online MDT consultation?
The vast majority of complaints are suitable for an online MDT consultation. If we determine that your injury or situation is not suitable for an online consultation, we will let you know immediately.
If you are unsure whether your injury is suitable for a consultation we encourage you to contact us directly via email and we will respond accordingly.
Do I need a referral to use your service?
How can the MDT assessment diagnose my injury if the practitioner has not even touched me?
All MDT appointments start with a ‘subjective assessment’, in which your MDT Diplomaed physiotherapist will obtain key information such as location of symptoms, how the symptoms change with various movements/postures and other targeted questions. This, in combination with the movement assessment (you will be asked to perform specific movements based on your history), will narrow down which specific type of problem you have. This assessment process will also determine the exact exercises and strategies you will need to perform in order to successfully treat yourself.
How can you treat my injury without touching me?
As already outlined above, the key to the MDT system is finding specific movements, determined from your assessment that you can perform. When the correct movement or loading position is determined it will provide relief, and improve other symptoms such as stiffness, reduced range of movement and strength. Even when seen in person, most MDT consultations do not require or involve any hands-on treatment. This teaches you how to manage your own problem, saving time and money by becoming efficient at self-management.
What if I am struggling to understand how to do a specific movement or exercise?
The use of video can sort this out efficiently. Tailored videos of specific exercises can be emailed or texted to you so you can be confident of how to perform the exercise.
How do I pay for the consultation and can I get a private health rebate?
The fee for an MDT physiotherapy session is the same for a patient that lives locally and comes to see us in person. Payment will need to be made via credit card over the phone, and we provide a detailed invoice so you can claim your private health component online if you have extras that cover physiotherapy.